Saturday, March 22, 2008

Old School New Dreams

Today, I was sorting through some old books. I found an old yearbook from my secondary school. Haha! It brings back all the memories of the past.

Flipping through the pages, I found a page that was dedicated for me. It contains the interview of myself and a picture of me, because I was awarded Eastman Excellence Award, an honour for a well rounded student in academic as well as co-curriculum activity. Until now, I never thought I deserved the award. If being an all-rounder is the qualification, then I only fulfill the academic and society criteria. I was never good in sports. This was the first runner up secondary school in Kuantan, counting from the back. There is seldom any competition around us. Maybe the focus of the student were different then. everyone wish to come out to run their parents' business, or be a better mechanic than their fathers. Study was never the first priority. So I easily obtained the first place in the class. In fact, I had been obtaining the first place in class since my first year of secondary school.

Come to think about it, I never remember how I studied during my secondary school years. But it was all those activities that I participated that etched a lasting memory. I remembered once that we had a leadership camp in botanical park in Kuantan. That was the time I got close with my Malay friends, working as a team. We had lots of funs then. Then there were outing of Chinese Language Association to Balok Beach. Although the programs were crappy, yet we had lots of sweet time together. I remembered the most was the time we had a camp in Balok beach for uniform bodies. It is usual to have 'night owl' game where every team were dispatch to explore the designated locations. It start at midnight and ended 5 a.m. in the morning. We had to explore into forest, some abandoned house and the seaside to look for clues and the first team that came back will be a winner. However, I think I had lost that time.

Although I came from a not-so well known school that has nothing to be proud about, I am able to explore my potential to the fullest. Sometimes it is the school that shape a person; but most of the time it is a person that shape a school. Most of the students want to attend an established school to get better result. If you can first change yourself, you can achieve what you want despite of your background.

School Sports day. My teacher Miss Cheong and friends

These is how we play!

This was a booth we designed for canteen day. They said it looks like Chinese funeral due to the black and white theme.


My friends, enjoying the 'ais kacang' that my chess club prepared

1 comment:

Jenny Phang said...

Background history, in the end, will always be history. When we look forward and march towards our destined future, we will one day arrive with triumph.
For hardwork well-rewarded, cheers :)