Monday, April 21, 2008

This is Where I Called Home


Let me introduce myself to you guys. My name is Muthu. I am eight. Eldest of the five siblings. All are boys, the youngest is 1 year old. I never attended to any formal school until now. My parents never send me to one. I am staying in a hut as you can see with a blown off roof after the last thunderstorm and a door that barely close. There were no windows.

I introduce my mom first as she is the person that I see the most everyday. My father seldom at home. He loves alcohol more than our family. My mother is currently expecting another baby. Heard that it is a girl this time. I seldom see my dad. He is never at home. I don't know what he is. Only thing I know when he is back is mother will get hit and we all siblings we got beaten up for no reason at all. Since he has this new found girlfriend, he came home less and less. I knew my mother cried a lot for him.

Since I am not attending any school, I had plenty of time. I like playing around with friends. Though they always have some shiny new toys I could only hoped for. So I found a way to make money. I asked from people. Sometimes, on 'luckier' day, I could earn myself a can of coke. 'Bad' days can be really terrible. Anyway, I don't enjoy reading. I can't read anyway. Although I hate it, I have to take care of my younger siblings for my mother sake.

Life is tough. I never want all this responsibility of grown man. I wanted to play, I wanted to go to school like the other boys, to see the world. Above all, I wanted a home that is warm, a father that provides, mother that heal all the wounds, and everyone around table to enjoy a nice dinner. Not this and definitely not what I had now! I am so longed for a change in my life and fate.

To see this broken family really breaks my heart. They were a defunct family living off the main road from Kuantan to Gambang. They were the poorest of the poor among the area. The house they lived is no living condition. Torn down roof, no rooms, poor sanitation, with food and faeces lying around. Anyway, it is a shelter provided by some kind people. They were like a roadkill from the economic highway.

Father does not has a permanent job and mother is a housewife. Most of the income were spent on the drinking behaviour. Moreover, the father is abusive at times and his beating never spared the younger child as well. Education for the young one never seems important. The health condition were terrible. Almost all of them having head lice manifestation with the second youngest child having scabies infection as well. I have no doubt that the other siblings will have the same infection. All of them seems malnourished and looks small for their age. The mother, though pregnant, never attended the routine maternity clinic check-up for the young one inside.

People around had been trying to help them, with monetary support from governmental agency, non-governmental organisation and people with a heart of a Buddha. People donated food and clothing to fulfil only the basic necessities but they were far from enough. They need better homes, and most important, education to promise a brighter future for the younger generations. With the help of people who cares, this family will be relocated to the foster home to ensure proper living condition and schooling for the child. There is still hope if everyone only lend their helping hand.

1 comment:

Meksue said...

yfI thought you are chinese, how come become Indian?