Monday, April 21, 2008

The Money-Making Pet


This is not a zoo. This, in fact is my house. And this is no ordinary monkey. His name is 'Beruk'. He is owned by Pak Mat Beruk (in local tongue we pronounce as 'Pok Mat Berok'). His job? He plucks coconut for Pak Mat. How they pluck the coconut is fun to see. First, he will climb up the coconut tree. Then he will liaise with Pak Mat on which coconut to pluck (you don't want a young green coconut to be plucked as the flesh is still relatively thin and no value). Pak Mat will shoosh here, praise there and they will get job done. After that, he will be rewarded with food.

This is a thriving local industry in my home town. Coconut fetch a very good price in the market and it is in all time demand. The coconut-plucking monkey enjoy his job, and I am going too, in the month to come when I start my job.




Combo of Pak Mat and his beruk equals to nicely skinned coconuts

No comments: