Friday, November 7, 2008

The Unexpected Death

I think, almost every mother bearing a child came to my clinic would expect to bring back a child when they were discharged. No one, absolutely no one expects the others.

Today, I faced with a difficult situation.

8.27AM, an expecting mother came to my clinic because she is feeling pain at the lower abdomen and the contraction was getting stronger. After a quick examination by my fellow friend, she was already in the advance stage of labour. So we pushed her to labour room.

I was the most senior house officer at that time. My friend was a tagging house officer since she just joined the department. After a while, the medical student rushed out for my assistance. She looked scare. So without wasting any time, I rushed to the labour room.

The atmosphere was cold. Nobody speaks. Everyone looked at the newly delivered flesh laying motionless on the green sheet. His body, swollen up twice his size. His face plethoric and the skin peeled of like plastic cover, exposing the red flesh. The umbilical cord was snapped into half. It was an awful sight.

The mother looked at me, half expecting the outcome of the labour. "How was my baby, Doctor Goh?"

"Did you go and check you baby well being lately?" I asked.

"I felt the quickening lessen throughout this week, but there was contractions. People said contraction was due to the baby moving..." She said.

Then came the hardest moment in my career, breaking bad news.

"Madam, I am sorry to say that you newborn is a stillbirth. He must have died quite sometime in your uterus. I am really sorry..."

Then she cried. I did not try to console her. This was grief which she must go through, so Elizabeth Kubler Ross said.

I offered her the opportunity to see the child. She could not bear the sight of a dead child. Must have been a great loss to her, her family and her love life. And I had to break the news to the husband as well, which he accepted quite well.

I am not good with death counseling. There is still a long way to go.

No comments: