Wednesday, September 24, 2008


Life isn't smooth sailing, as always.

I had a bad day, today.

My patient died under my hand. She came with septicaemia. Down with DIVC. Needed a central line. However got oedematous peripheral limbs because of overload. Lower limbs were inflamed. Trial of Short line through internal jugular would only stress her limits as her INR was 5. My boss said:" Proceed, I trust you."

So Short line tried, but got stucked at 5 cm. Then I got it removed at once. Bleeding was mad. Haemostasis secured only after 15 minutes of compression. 15 mins later, she went into asystole. Resuscitated for 1 hour. Unable to bring her back. Thinking back, was it my mistake? Probably. But her premorbid status was not well, either. She would need the High dependency ward back-up the very least, or intensive care unit. But none were available.

Sigh!

Working in such a tight resource, is really stretching the limits. You have datelines, you have urgent things, you have sidelines, all coming to your face at the same time.

Time to ease out a little bit. Life goes on.

No comments: