Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Length Doesn't Matter, or Really?

I was doing my respiratory rotation when he admitted to the ward. Pretty advanced cancer of the oesophagus spreading to the lungs. He was breathless all the time. Chest tube was attempted by me and the initial drain was like a water hose spurting out the putrid greenish fluids. Afterwards, his breathlessness was gone.

Two weeks later, I learned from my friend that he passed away. Cause by failed ventilatory support system. Sad, nevertheless. But I learn something from this gentleman.

You can learn a lot from the patient if only you see. Whenever during visiting hours, the bedside is full with concerning friends and relatives, you know either he has a good social support or second possibility is that he has a lot of money and the will is not made yet. If you see a bouquet of flower on the desk, there is someone care enough to give the well wishes for the patient.

This patient of mine was a teacher. A secondary school teacher. What is peculiar about him was if you speaks malay with him, he will answer in english. Maybe that was his style. He will question every management plan we had for him, like why is this medication on, why is this procedures carried out.

With his death, his teaching life came to abrupt full stop. But many had learned from him, and become a useful person to the society. He may not teach anymore but his teaching still passed on. On the day of his death, there were a crowd more than 50 that came for him, the largest I've seen so far. The wife came up to me with teary eyes, thanked me for taking care of the husband. It stirs my inside, and I loss my speech. I just return her a sincere smile.

You may say he live a short life. Nevertheless, it was a meaningful and purposeful life, I say. Does the length really matter, huh?

No comments: