Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Reflection: Surgery

It had been a tough 4 months in Surgical internship. I had made it! I had made it to the end. With all the bad remarks regarding the department staff, the rotation itself and all the no-nonsense attitude in the posting, I am surprised myself for being able to go through it.

First, the department head gave a lot of pressure to us. He is treating us all like an army recruit. “You may do this with written permission; You are not authorized to do that; You must submit your form by 0800 on every 2nd of the month and bla..bla..” Working hours was from 7 am till 8 pm. Gosh! I had so little time for myself, my girlfriend and my family. All devoted to the ward and the sick bay. His style can be described in one word…unpredictable.

Next, the ward staff are bunch of back-stabbing monster. They will do anything to sell you out for the sake of their own good in front of the Big Boss. I had it once. The Sister of the ward once file an invalid complaint against us, saying that the House officer were not doing their job for discharging patient. It never occur before because discharge is our level 1 priority when doing the ward work. I was in rage when the boss came to tell us that we need to have schedule for the HO to do discharge. All for the sake of Sisters…

Yet I find a lot of fun in doing surgical stuff. All those logics in managing patient, decision-making and the thrill of hands-on is so nice. I like the feeling of holding the scalpel, carving the lines, and remove, repair, and remodeling the disease parts. It feels so real, so myself.

Now, the time is gone… I am already into my next rotation. Emergency department. Now it is a better time for me.

034

No comments: